The global age diversity platform 40 Over Forty has revealed the winners of its 2022 list, which includes leaders from companies including MullenLowe Group UK, VMLY&R, boutique PR firm Persuasion and Tantrum's very own, David Tann.
The list of trailblazers, all of which have made a significant contribution to the industry, is an important proofpoint and suckerpunch, challenging the industry’s ongoing ageism issue. The list, which is now in its third year, has been an important progression from a media ecosystem which traditionally conflates youth with innovation.
Men and women from independent agencies to networks and brands across UK and US have made the 2022 list which features CEOs and Global CTOs, Creatives and SVPs. The full list can be seen below.
This year the group is levelling up its commitment to age positivity with the launch of a new accolade for companies to demonstrate their age diversity practices in 2023. The team suggests, for example, companies could share how they have adopted the Advertising Association & 40 Over Forty ‘Shared Experiences’ policy.
This new category will be called ‘Most Committed to Age Inclusion’. The new mark of age inclusivity will be open to companies to apply for it in early 2023 to encourage action and accountability in the media, marketing, and advertising industry.
Ally Owen, Age Inclusion Ambassador and Founder of Brixton Finishing School, explained: "Ageism is an extremely popular and ironic ‘ism’ - if you are fortunate to be blessed with the opportunity to grow older you will have the ultimate karma - the age bias you possess will be mirrored onto you. You will realise the wealth of lived experience and skills you've gathered have the potential to deliver a multitude of values to business but will most likely be ignored or devalued.”
She continued: “Let's unite to change this narrative - 40 Over Forty celebrates the achievements yet to come! Believe me - 40 is only the beginning. I set up BFS & The ADcademy at 45 and feel at 50 I'm only just getting started. Everyone should have the opportunity to thrive and be valued at work. This is especially true for communities where traditional structures devalued them in the workplace.”
Anna Dalziel, Founder, 40 Over Forty added; “Brands, businesses and agencies are calling out ageism across the UK with real action being taken to readdress the skewed, outdated stereotypes that have existed for too long. We all grow older, if we’re lucky, and as we age, we gather experience, skills and knowledge that should be valued and shared. That’s why it’s amazing to see the range of diverse people in this year’s 40 Over Forty selection who deserve to be celebrated and we are evolving the platform in 2023 to continue our diversity and inclusive work.”
40 Over Forty launched back in January 2020 to celebrate people over 40 who were being overlooked by traditional awards and ‘top lists’ due to their age. A compelling reminder that creativity has no use by date.
- Gihan Abdel Magid Hyde, Founder & CEO at CommUnique
- Dr Kat Arney, Founder and Creative Director at First Create The Media
- Jane Austin, Founder at Persuasion
- Vanessa Bakewell, Global Client Partner - Entertainment - Music, Audio & Movies at Meta
- Niklas Bakos, Founder & Chief Strategy Officer at Adverty
- Patrick Bennett, Executive Creative Director at Momentum Worldwide
- Richard Black, President & General Manager at Superfly
- Robin Bootle, Chief Operating Officer at Multilocal
- Nicky Bullard, Group Chief Creative Officer at MullenLowe Group UK
- Amber Chenevert, Global Culture Studio Lead | Manager Director, Strategy & Insights at VMLY&R
- Rebekah Clark, Chief Executive Officer at Beautiful Soup
- Wendi Dunlap, SVP of Outcome-Based Planning at Kinesso
- Walter Geer, Chief Experience Design Officer at VMLY&R
- Tasha Gilroy, Chief Equity, Inclusion & Belonging Officer at VMLY&R
- Niki Herring, Director and Co-Founder at Channel Mum Ltd
- Emil Hill, Executive Vice President at Powell Tate and Weber Shandwick
- Kothary Jayna, Global Chief Technology Officer at MRM
- Katie Keating, Co-Founder/Co-Chief Creative Officer at Fancy
- Dave Kersey, Chief Media Officer at GSD&M
- Myron King, Chief Integration Officer at VMLY&R
- Ale Lariu, Co-Founder at SheSays & The WEI
- Calli Louis, Co-Founder at Working Wonder
- Mack McKelvey, Founder/CEO at SalientMG
- Mike Menzer, Executive Vice President at Acxiom International
- Zoe Merchant, Founder & Managing Director at Bright
- Abby Moffit, Founder & Creative Director at Bright Ideas Only
- Maria Neve, SVP, People Experience at Sony Music Entertainment
- Sufia Parkar, IED Director, EMEA at Wunderman Thompson
- Claudine Patel, Member at Chief
- Adrion Porter, Founder at Mid-Career Mastery
- Bradley Rogers, Global Chief Operating Officer at MRM
- Jenny Rooney, Chief Experience Officer at Adweek
- Laura Sampedro and Carlos Alija, Executive Creative Director at MullenLowe LA
- Erica Schmidt, Global CEO and Chief Culture Officer at Matterkind/Kinesso
- Bradley Schurman, Founder and CEO at Super Age
- Dhruti Shah, Journalist/Writer/Broadcaster, Freelance
- Emma Smith, Director of Marketing at Phoenix Medical
- David Tann, Founder & CEO at Tantum Agency
- Val Vacante, VP, Solutions Development at Dentsu International
- Jacinda Walker, Founder & Creative Director at designExplorr